It’s almost that time of year again. The time when there’s hardly anything on tv to watch. The time when it’s too hot to go outside (at least in Texas). What to do? Perhaps rent some movies or go see something in the theater. So, here are the movies I would like to see this summer:
- Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – I am currently both re-reading all the books in the series AND re-watching all of the movies. I am caught up on the movies and am anxiously awaiting this big screen version of Book 5. Based on the previews, I predict it will be highly entertaining.
- Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End – I know that there were mixed reactions to the second installment, but I enjoyed it. So it is only fitting that I should see the continuation of that one. My guess is that if I were to watch both movies in one sitting, it would feel like one complete story, albeit a really really long story. I am a bit concerned about the talk that they may make yet another movie to join this franchise.
- Evan Almighty – This one could go either way – really funny or really stupid. But my guess is that by the end of June, the extreme heat wave will have me in such a state of delirium that any entertainment in a cold, dark theater will seem fantastic. Besides, Steve Carrell is always hilarious.
- Bug – The name is gross, but the reviews have been surprisingly positive. This is probably one I will wait to rent, but it stands out from the other current theater dwellers.
- The Bourne Ultimatum – I thoroughly enjoyed the two previous Bourne movies, and I expect nothing less from this one.
Unhonorable mentions: Here are some movies I have absolutely no interest in watching – EVER:
- Delta Farce (Who thought this was a good idea?)
- Surf’s Up (Sure, I like penguins, but not when they are trying to capitalize on the success of Happy Feet by making a silly penguin surfer movie)
- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer (In my opinion, the first movie should never have been made, so this sequel is completely off my radar).
And here are the movies I will probably pick up from Blockbuster during the next few months:
- Pan’s Labyrinth – I’ve heard only good things about this fantasy thriller
- Dreamgirls – I may watch this solely to watch Jennifer Hudson’s Oscar-winning performance. Back in the day she was my favorite American Idol contestant (back when I still watched it – her early ousting was probably one of the main reasons I lost interest in the show), so it is satisfying to see her success now.
- The Holiday – I don’t watch very many chick flicks, but this one looks pretty good.
- Stranger Than Fiction – I’m really looking forward to watching this one!
- Catch and Release – Another chick flick?! I must watch any Jennifer Garner movie, even if it means I have to suffer through another Daredevil debacle. Well, I take that back. I couldn’t force myself to watch Electra. Sorry, Jennifer. I’ll watch almost any of your movies.
- The Good Shepherd – Looks interesting, has a great cast.
Across the Universe – I just watched a preview for this movie, and it’s very intriguing. It is a movie musical set to Beatles’ songs. Sounds similar to the concept of Moulin Rouge, only with a different story. It’s release date is September 28.
What do you think? Is there anything important missing from my list? Let me know!