When you have 100+ hours to spare on your TiVo’s hard-drive, but it’s the middle of the summer reality show season, what are you to do? Well, if you’re me, you pore over the movie guide and choose a plethora of films – classics, comedies, cartoons, whatever – to occupy all the extra space on your Now Playing List. Here’s a list of the movies I currently have on mine:
- Superman: The Movie – There’s no telling how many times I watched this movie growing up. I’ve watched about the first hour of it this time around, and it’s still a classic.
- Batman Returns – I don’t believe I’ve ever watched this entire movie from beginning to end. I know it can’t compete with Batman Begins, but I like Michael Keaton as Batman better than Clooney or Kilmer.
- What Lies Beneath – I really enjoyed this Hitchcockian thriller in the theater, and then again as a rental. Now I’ll see how it plays on tv.
- The Karate Kid – Wax on, wax off. Ah, Ralph Macchio. I still can’t believe how old he was when he starred in this movie. I caught the final scene of the movie while it was recording, and it didn’t have near the epic quality that I have built up in my memory.
- Pretty in Pink – Molly Ringwald, it is difficult to tell your 80s movies apart, but I find them all highly entertaining.
- Pleasantville – I’ve only seen this once, so I thought I would give it another viewing.
- The Three Faces of Eve – I’ve never seen this 1957 film about multiple personalities. I probably saw it featured on one of AFI’s Top 100 shows.
- Saved! – Jena Malone, Mandy Moore, and Patrick Fugit = Good reasons to watch this movie. Macauley Culkin = Whatever happened to the sweet, innocent boy from Home Alone?
- Punch-Drunk Love – I like watching Adam Sandler play someone different than his typical mopey goofball characters. Since I much preferred Spanglish to The Waterboy, I thought I would check this one out. But don’t even get me started on Click: one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen!
- Sunset Boulevard – I’m sad to say that this marks the third time that I have recorded this movie without watching it. Hopefully I will get around to it this time.
- All the President’s Men – Another classic that I’ve never seen.
- Heavenly Creatures – I just had to see what Peter Jackson was up to before he hit the jackpot with The Lord of the Rings Trilogy.
- Beetlejuice – Hey! Michael Keaton is on this list twice. Beetlejuice was, I believe, the first PG-13 movie I saw in the theater. I felt very special and grown-up when the guy at the ticket counter let me walk on by without my parents. Now when I watch it, it will just seem wrong how young Geena Davis is and how skinny Alec Baldwin is. Is he even the same person?
- On the Waterfront – “I could’ve been a contender.” That classic line is reason enough for me to watch this Marlon Brando movie.
- Cinema Paradiso – A movie about movies: what could be more appropriate?
- About a Boy – This is one of my favorites, so I will keep it on my TiVo indefinitely.
So, please, help me manage my time by letting me know which of these movies not to bother watching as well as which ones I must watch. (Give me a good reason, though! ) Also, suggestions on which movies to watch first would be appreciated. Sometimes a list this long can be overwhelming.
Related Post: Now Playing on a TiVo Near… Me