I apologize in advance. This is an abbreviated version of my usual review of the show because I am on vacation, away from my TiVo! I watched all the performances tonight, but didn’t catch the judges’ comments. It’s interesting that my favorite dancers were paired up tonight (Pasha and Sabra, Danny and Sara). That made it very easy to choose my favorite performances. Here are some quick thoughts:
Danny and Sara:
- Their Argentine tango was impressive. It was my favorite performance of the night.
- Their 80s-style hip-hop routine was fun, but kind of cheesy. I kind of cringed watching classically-trained Danny doing all those pelvic thrusts.
Dominic and Lauren:
- Their krumping was somewhat entertaining, but gave both of them a chance to further display their cheesiness.
- Their rumba paled in comparison to the one that Dominic and Sabra danced earlier this season. I was completely bored during this performance. I think these two should go home this week.
Lacey and Neil:
- I couldn’t pay attention to their Latin jazz routine. I was completely distracted by Neil’s shirtlessness. I don’t want to see Neil shirtless. Danny, maybe, but Neil, no. Neil’s state of undress only accentuated his stiff shoulders.
- Since I missed the intro to their contemporary routine, I was completely lost as to what their performance was about. I was completely unimpressed. They didn’t have to do anything difficult in terms of choreography, and it came across as pointless to me. So I was shocked when it brought more than one person to tears, and the judges said things like “this performance will go down in history as one of the greatest.” Sure, now that I know Mia was creating a scene of what meeting her dad in heaven would be like, the routine makes more sense. But I watched it again knowing what it was intended to be, and I still wasn’t impressed. I think all the judges got emotionally overwhelmed and forgot that this is a dance competition.
Sabra and Pasha:
- I’m not usually a fan of the Broadway dances (they really work better with a whole chorus of dancers, rather than just a pair), but because I love both Sabra and Pasha, I really enjoyed this one. This was my second favorite performance of the night.
- The local station I was watching missed the intro and first part of their quickstep, so I feel like I don’t have the whole picture on this one. It looked good technically, so I’ll give them credit for that much.
Best of the Night:
- Danny and Sara’s Argentine tango
- Pasha and Sabra’s Broadway routine
Least Impressive of the Night:
- Lauren and Dominic’s rumba
- Lacey and Neil’s contemporary performance
Predicting the Bottom Two Guys:
Predicting the Bottom Two Girls:
- Sara (should be Lacey, but I think she’s more popular than Sara)
Who Should Go Home: