Now that we’re down to six contestants, I will compile my thoughts on the performances in order of my preference – from my favorite to least favorite.
- David Cook – “Music of the Night” – Wow, what a great voice he has, and he proved it with his rendition of “Music of the Night.” I was surprised he played it straight, without giving it his usual rock edginess. I think that was a smart move, because it showed his versatility. In my opinion, this David is the front runner, not David Archuleta.
- Carly Smithson – “Jesus Christ, Superstar” – I liked Carly’s outfit, her enthusiasm, and – of course – her voice. She seemed very comfortable on stage for this performance, and looked like she was having a lot of fun. She had been missing that element for the past couple of weeks. Hopefully this improved performance will keep her safe this week.
- Syesha Mercado – “One Rock and Roll Too Many” – Syesha looked great, in her red dress, and this song was perfectly suited for her. She had tons more spunk in her than she has ever shown this season. Like Carly, she stepped it up this week.
- Jason Castro – “Memory” – Although I liked Jason’s understated version of this well-known Broadway tune, I have to agree with Simon’s assessment that it looked like Jason was being forced by his parents to sing this song. I fear he may be in trouble this week, unless his beautiful eyes save him. 🙂
- Brooke White – “You Must Love Me” – Brooke has gone from being my favorite contestant to being near the bottom of the list. For the second time this season, she stopped and started over. That shows that she is jittery, and the person who wins this competition needs to exude confidence. So far she hasn’t done so. I still love her voice, and her different vibe, but I’m not sure those are enough to keep her around at this point.
- David Archuleta – “Think of Me” – If he had continued the song in the style he began with, this may well have been my favorite performance of the night. I loved the guitar, and the pop sound. For the first time, I was able to believe David A. as a pop singer. But… then he had to go and turn it into his typical “inspirational message of the week,” complete with generic hand motions. Plus, I was very distracted by how hard he was trying not to close his eyes. I just don’t get why he’s so many people’s favorite. Well, I guess his great voice and the fact that he’s a cute, precocious teenage boy have something to do with it. 🙂
Bottom Three: Brooke, Jason, Carly
Going Home: Brooke? (but I am usually wrong with my predictions, so it will probably be someone else)