These are my quick thoughts on last night’s Idol. For a bit more detail, go to my friend Lindsay’s post about this week’s show.
- David Archuleta – Billy Joel’s “And So It Goes” – This was a good choice for David A. by Paula. And it’s a good song. He sang it very well, but, as usual, I was distracted by David’s facial expressions and all the runs he added to the song.
- Syesha Mercado – Alicia Key’s “If I Ain’t Got You” – Eh… it was okay. She kind of yelled her way through it.
- David Cook – Roberta Flack’s “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face” – It was fun to hear his version of this song. Great ending!
Winner of Round One: I have to go with David C. on the judges’ choice round, but David A. was pretty good, too.
- David A. – Chris Brown’s “With You” – This was just about the most awkward thing I’d ever seen. Not a good choice – not a good choice at all. The slang, the phrasing, the bobbing up and down. Um, no. And was it Randy that said this is the kind of contemporary album David should make? Yikes.
- Syesha – Peggy Lee’s “Fever” – I really liked the opening of the song, but by the end I agree with Simon’s assessment that it was like bad cabaret. Poor Syesha, though. The judges were really giving her a hard time!
- David C. – Switchfoot’s “Dare You to Move” – Out of all the songs David could have chosen, this was no good. The arrangement was bad (for once Paula pointed out a valid concern), the opening verse was too low for his voice, and it was pitchy and boring.
Winner of Round Two: No one! They were all pretty bad. These people shouldn’t be allowed to choose their own songs.
- David A. – Dan Folgerberg’s “Longer” – This song was most definitely too sentimental and old for David. Why, oh why, would the producers choose this old tune for him? So much for being youthful. But I do like the song – don’t know what Simon has against it.
- Syesha – Gia Farrell’s “Hit Me Up” – I don’t like this song, and I didn’t like Syesha’s performance. It was loud and grating.
- David C. – Aerosmith’s “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” – Simon thinks this is one of the best songs of all time? I don’t like Aerosmith’s version at all (probably more because I can’t stand the movie it was in – Armageddon – or because it was way overplayed on the radio), but David C’s version was my favorite performance of the night.
Winner of Round 3: David C. It seems to me that the producers want David C. to be the American Idol, because they sabotaged Syesha and David A. with their song choices for them.
Well, the judges certainly believe that Syesha will go home tonight. That’s how it should be. We’ve been anticipating a showdown of the Davids for weeks now. I will be shocked if one of them goes home instead.