Welcome to the 100th episode! Cat celebrated the occasion by wearing a hideous tiger dress. The opening Mia Michaels’-choreographed Chorus Line routine seemed appropriately dramatic and festive for the 100th episode, but I really started getting excited when I saw Pasha, Joshua, and so many other past contestants sitting in the audience. (Still conspicuously absent are season three finalists Danny and Sabra. What’s up with that?) The video montage highlighting the show’s five seasons actually made me tear up. I didn’t watch the show until season three, but I’ve been fully invested ever since.
- Hok and Jaime’s “Hummingbird and the Flower” routine by Wade Robson – I never get tired of watching this Emmy-nominated routine. It’s so strange and beautiful.
- Travis and Heidi’s bench routine – I’ve never seen a prop used so well as in this routine.
- A Wade Robson “Ramalama” group routine featuring season two contestants – It was fun to see Wade himself front and center during this performance. The group routines are usually pretty forgettable, but this one is quite striking and impressive, not to mention fun.
- Katie Holmes’ dance for charity – So why is Katie Holmes such an impressive guest dancer? It’s nice that she’s working with a charity (www.dizzyfeetfoundation.org), and that she’s friends with Tyce Diorio, but I’m not sure people rush to turn on their tvs to see Katie dance. It was pretty lame. There was a silly opening with her arriving in a car, and then it looks like she performed onstage in an empty theater. Why couldn’t she show up when the show was being recorded like everyone else? The poor attempt at lip-synching was the third strike against Katie. They should have included another SYTYCD favorite performance in place of this.
Bottom Two Girls – I’m not surprised to see these two here. I think that Brandon is the one who kept Janette out of the bottom three couples while they were together, and now that they aren’t together anymore, she finds herself in danger of going home for the first time. And I think that it will be Janette going home. I do like her, but somebody has to go, and I think that Kayla did really well on her solo and her dances with Jason last night.
Bottom Two Guys – I’m glad that Ade was safe, but what the heck? Brandon is in the bottom two?! He was crazy good last night! Out of these two, I certainly hope Jason is the one going home.
Who Was Sent Home
- Janette – 😦 I like all of these girls, so I am sad to see her go. Nigel said that she was his favorite, and he really wanted her to win this year. You’d never know it by his comments this season, which have leaned heavily in favor of Kayla. Maybe he’s trying some reverse psychology?
- Jason – He’s been an underdog from the beginning, so I suppose he should be proud to have made it this far. He started out with the disadvantage of not being seen much during the audition episodes, and then got stuck with lackluster partners. That being said, I am relieved that he went home instead of Brandon. But Jason seems like a really sweet, genuine guy, and I wish him the best.
Ranking the Top Six – Well, here we are, just a couple of weeks away from the finale. It should be easier for me to rank my favorites now, so here they are from least to most favorite. But really, I like all of them pretty well, which hasn’t been the case in past seasons. Who are your favorites?